for Preparing Tomatoes:
• Before serving, wash tomatoes under cool running water and pat dry.
• If your recipe requires seeded tomatoes, cut the fruit in half horizontally and
gently squeeze out the seeds and the juice.
• It is especially important when cooking tomatoes to not use aluminum cookware
since their high acid content will interact with the metal. This may result in
the migration of the aluminum into the food, which will not only impart an
unpleasant taste, but more importantly, may have deleterious effects on your
Tips for Storage of Tomatoes:
• Since tomatoes are sensitive to cold, and it will impede their ripening process,
store them at room temperature and out of direct exposure to sunlight. They will
keep for up to a week, depending upon how ripe they are when purchased.
• To hasten the ripening process, place them in a paper bag with a banana or apple
since the ethylene gas that these fruits emit will increase the tomato's
Interesting Notes about Bell Peppers:
• As the pepper gets riper, it gets not only a better taste, but it also gets more
• A red pepper is actually a fully ripened green pepper with a milder flavor!
• Always keep any Pepper in the refrigerator…it will prolong the shelf life!